Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Wedding Planner

Engagement Ring
As I mentioned somewhere on this blog, I became engaged this past May.  We didn't really have a date in mind, but we knew that the Spring or Fall of 2017 was what we were shooting for.  Now, it looks like April, 2017 is the time.

It's nice to have it narrowed down to a month.  There is a specific date in April; I just can't remember it.  I'm a guy; details aren't my forte.  What can I say?

Bet I'll be there, though.

There are some interesting wrinkles to this wedding.  For starters, I am planning it.  And, no, it wasn't my idea to plan it.  It was hers.  She doesn't like planning things like that; she likes planning trips.


Wedding Bands


So, that's the second wrinkle: she's planning the 
honeymoon.

As far as the wedding goes, she only knows two things about it: the location and which dress she's going to wear. 

We're going to get married in the barn.  Don't worry: it'll be fine.  Even for a girl.

As for the rest, I'm not going to tell her any of the details.  There will be no rehearsal.  She'll only know the details as she goes through the ceremony.  As strange as it may seem, she loves this arrangement.  All of her girlfriends have already gasped in horror at the idea, so she knows it's a bit off the beaten path.

She does have one girlfriend who loves planning parties and weddings and she has offered to help me.  I'm very grateful for her help, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to keep reeling her in.


Aunt Libby and Uncle Billy's Barn
Part of the reason that fiancé loves me planning the wedding in secret is that she loves surprises.  Another reason is that she wants to see what a wedding would look like if a man planned it.  I was trying to explain to Kinzey (the planning girlfriend) that guys have a different view of weddings than do girls.  As for me, I want a comfortable place to sit and I want a short ceremony.  I also want comfortable clothes.  As you might expect, she looked at me as if I'd gone mad. 

"Surely you're wrong," says she, "because those things don't matter at all."

"Ah," says I, "but you're thinking about this like a girl.  To a girl, they probably don't matter, but to a guy, they do."

She said that she understood my point, but I could see in her eyes that she didn't.  To her, I'm just a whacky outlier on this issue.

In the end, it doesn't much matter because I'm going to do what I want anyway.  To Kinzey's credit, though, she still is excited about helping.  She has some great ideas that we're going to incorporate.  I'm impressed with her creativity and her malleability when it comes to making someone else's vision come true.

As for the honeymoon, it was going to be done in secret.  That's the way she planned my son's honeymoon.  He (Caleb) and his new bride (Kaci) didn't know until the rehearsal dinner where they would be going on their honeymoon.  Fiancé planned an all-inclusive trip to Jamaica for them.  All I had to do was foot the bill.  A great deal for everyone: they got a great trip, fiancé got to plan a trip, and I didn't have to plan anything.  Perfect.

The secret part of the honeymoon got blown because she found a great deal early in her planning and I had to be brought onboard.  She found a two-week trip through Europe for a great price.  Most of the trip will be through eastern Europe, which suits me perfectly.  I've always wanted to go to Budapest, for example.  But there are stops in Italy, Switzerland, and France as well.  I think that it covers about ten countries in all.

I'm really jazzed about it.  Prague?  Are you kidding?  Wow.

But, really, all of it is exciting.  Nuremberg. Florence. Pisa. Swiss Alps.

Man oh man. 

I wonder is the food is any good?  That's always of interest to a growing boy like me.

I reckon that it won't be too long before I'm eating my way across Europe with my gal.

Ideal.

TheCurmudgeon

1 comment:

  1. Great article, Doc! I think a rustic barn wedding will be gorgeous! Your fiancé will love it ���� Reading your articles through my email makes me miss everyone at Choices! -Amy (Emily)

    ReplyDelete

Enter your e-mail address and JOIN THE ADVENTURE!!