Friday, September 30, 2016

Venti?

I know that you have come to think of me as a sophisticated man-about-town.  In fact, you'd be right. I'm totally hip and groovy.  No one is more with it than I.

What can I say, chicks dig me.  Why wouldn't they?



Me and the Fonz.

I'm also unabashedly American.

I went to Starbucks this morning.  I was in line with a friend and I ordered first.  I simply said, "Large Coffee."  I know that there is an Italian code about sizes, but I refuse to learn what it is.

If I want something big, I say large, because we speak English in America.  Apparently, It's a confusing concept to Mr. Starbuck because Starbucks speaks Italian.  So, their confusion about language confuses the hell out of me.

Here's the deal about the sizes and I'm not making this up:

"The drink sizes we offer are Short (8 fl. oz.), Tall (12 fl. oz.), Grande (16 fl. oz.), Venti® Hot (20 fl. oz.), Venti® Cold (24 fl. oz.) and Trenta®* Cold (30 fl. oz.). *Only available for Shaken Iced Tea, Shaken Iced Tea Lemonade, Iced Coffee, Cold Brew and Starbucks Refreshers®."

That was taken from the Starbucks website.

Are you kidding me?

I guess someone forgot to mention that we are in America, not Italia.  What's wrong with small, medium, and large?

In addition to my size faux pas, I committed another: I ordered coffee.

It's a social error on the order of pissing in a punch bowl.

What Are These Weird Drinks?
On the other hand, there is an advantage to ordering coffee.  He poured some coffee in a cup and gave it to me RIGHT AT THE REGISTER!  He didn't even ask my name.

Next, when it was her turn to order, my friend said something that I couldn't understand.  Predictably, he asked her her name.

When her drink came, it was wrong.  They gave her a hot chocolate.  I was chuckling on the inside because my strategy makes such a misunderstanding nearly impossible.  And I didn't have to have my name shouted in a room full of strangers.  Win-win.

As per usual, my season of winning didn't last long, because, as I was about to leave, I remembered something.

Crap.  Fiance' asked me to bring something back for her.  I knew that the good times wouldn't last.

I told her to text me the literary code that would translate into the goofy-ass drink that she wanted.

So, she texted me this:

"Venti coffee frappacino with extra shot of espresso, double blended."

Geez.  I don't even know what that means.  You've got to have a graduate degree to order a damn cup of coffee.

I sure as hell wasn't going to say that out loud.  I might just as well put on a pair of lacy panties and model them.


If I said that, I'd prolly end up with the phone number of every available switch-hitter in the joint.

So, I just showed him my phone.  Let him decipher the gobble-de-gook.  He nodded in understanding and, you guessed it, asked me my name.  I told him Ralph.  

Sometimes it's the small victories.

TheCurmudgeon

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely cracked me up! Now I can stop feeling guilty next time I order a "large coffee" at the coffee shop. They look at me like I'm crazy to want plain coffee. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Sara! I'm so glad that there's at least two of us who remember what real coffee actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunkin is a large, med or small coffee.
    Starbucks is a tall, grande or venti. Get with the program. I am with Megan on this one. You might want to learn before the honeymoon trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, this comment was posted anonymously, so I don't know who you are, although, I suspect you are someone we know.

      Two comments:

      1) How much sense does it make to call the smallest drink of the trio you mention a "tall." That's just strange.

      2) As for the Italian thing. If, by saying that I need to learn all of this before going on the honeymoon, you mean that it would be handy to know because we'll be in Europe, I say this: It's OK to speak Italian WHEN YOU'RE IN ITALY! That was the whole point. The incident I relate happened in America. On the other hand, if you mean that I should get with the program because I'm going to marry a lady who orders goofy drinks... Well... All I have to say about that is that I'll overlook that flaw in her because she has so many other excellent traits. Why should I have to change?

      Delete
  4. oh thanks for the chuckle for the day. I'm still grinning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Milton, have no idea why it posted anonymous. I ordered a tall chai latte. Guess I don't mind changing things up, I could have had the hot choc but didn't want it. Hope your pattern is coming along. Forgot to tell you that H channel is between the glass pieces and U channel is the outside. You can google it for pix.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your e-mail address and JOIN THE ADVENTURE!!