Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Becky's Quilt

Things are rolling along with this whole blog thing, don't ya think?  I'm figuring out all sorts of stuff as I go along... ya know... how to add a link and where the shift key is.  Sometimes, I even spell a word correctly.

Today, I thought that I'd talk about a quilt that I built last year for my daughter.  She's pretty wonderful.  If there's a soft spot in my grouchy heart, I think she found it.  They say that that's what daughters do.  I guess they're sneaky like that.  I'm not really sure how they do it.

Becky and the Muffalettas

Maybe it's that cute little fake pout that they do.  Seriously, who could resist that?  Oi vey, she's going to bankrupt me.  When I saw the ultrasound of her in the womb, I knew that I was doomed.




One day she says to me, "Daddy, would you take me to Washington, D.C.?"

After a full millisecond delay, I said, "Of course, honey." 

Soooooo.... next thing ya know, I'm on an airplane...

I'm such a sap.


The Lincoln Memorial


The White House



Van Gogh Self Portrait
 National Gallery of Art



Mount Vernon
(Home of George Washington)
The Capitol Rotunda































Arlington National Cemetery





















But enough of that...

By this point in my quilting "career," I was starting to think about design.  In particular, I was beginning to think about design as it related to individual people.  I was thinking about what I knew about a person's likes and dislikes, but also about what might be meaningful to them.

I hadn't quite gotten to meaningful by this point, but it was looming vaguely on the horizon.  One reason for this was that I was still in the throes of technical matters.  I still didn't know as much about sewing as I needed to know.  So, from a design viewpoint, I was still a bit distracted.

Becky's Quilt Inspiration
Right about this time, I was surfing along looking at quilt pictures and I happened to see something that caught my eye.  When I saw it, I knew that I should build something like it and give it to Becky (if you haven't guessed, my daughter's name is Becky).  It just seemed to be the right thing for her.

It also appealed to me for technical reasons.  There were lots of points that had to be done just right for it to work, and I was learning that points are important.

Becky likes geometric shapes and she loves black and white, so it seemed like a perfect fit to me.

I went to my LQS (somewhere along the way, I learned that "LQS" is quilters short hand for Local Quilt Shop) and I asked Katie (the LQS owner) to help me pick some fabric.

I'll tell you more about Katie and her shop, A Nimble Thimble, at some point.  I'm very thankful for all the help she's given me.


I ended up with a white typeprint on white background and a black smudge fabric.  I liked them both very much, but, I have to say that my fiance' didn't care much for the smudge fabric.  She's usually right about things, but, in this matter, she was very wrong.  (Sorry dear, I just can't always agree with you, even though it's in my best interest to do so.)



Here's the top before I added the border.  I was proud of the points.  Thank you again, Mr. Elmer.
As I began to consider the border, I knew that I wanted it to be black, but I thought that it needed an accent color. 

I didn't want it to be white since there was so much white already in it. 

I choose yellow because it's the brightest color that I could think of. 

Not exactly rocket surgery. 

Definitely no color wheels involved.  I didn't even know what a color wheel was.
I mitered the corners so the yellow stripe would make a square.











I quilted it myself on my Bernina 830.  Of course, I showed it off to my Modern Quilt Group.  What can I say, I am learning to enjoy showing off the things that I make.



















I think that Becky likes the quilt.  She's scheduled to be married within the year, though, so her motives for being nice to me are currently suspect.  I anticipate the best relationship that I've ever had with her from now until she gets all the money she needs to pay for her wedding.

It's awful to know that you're being played and think it's wonderful.

That's what having a daughter is like.

Enter your e-mail address at the top or bottom of the page so you can follow along with each new post.  Now that she's about to leave, I'm going to be lonesome.  Feel sorry for me yet?

You should.

TheCurmudgeon

6 comments:

  1. Love the quilt, the quilter, and the quiltee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mr Curmudgeon I have to say that quilt is a lot of things: really well sewn, full of presise points, softest one you had made at that time, and most of all it's perfect for a princess with the best pout this side of the Mason Dixon. So you were very correct in all those assessments ......however Mr. C when you ask someone for their opinion on something than you must know that their opinion can't be "wrong". I will agree it could differ from yours but a opinion by definition is "a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge" thus without a testable assertion there is no way to be "wrong". All that being clear now I have to confess that a little birdy told me that your fiancé had said "a solid black would be better to make the 3D aspect of the quilt standout best, and that she really loved the blanket." She also said she loved the quiltee and the quilter no matter how much he may embellish .

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it is true that a solid might work better for a 3-D effect, I'm still perplexed as to why she would have thought that I was going for a 3-D effect with this particular quilt.

    Birdies whispering aside, I'm just a confused old grouch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Curmudgeon, I was the one who took your pix of the quilt at the TMQG meeting and I was stunned by your immediate success on the accuracy of the points. But then I remembered your profession and was convinced you were OCD (or really should be CDO if you are sincerely OCD). It all made sense. The quilt is a knock out for anyone quilting and the fact that you readily took it on as a "beginner" (I really think you are a ringer, just lying to us) overwhelms me. I refuse to show anything at any future meeting for fear of being overshadowed. Not that I ever let anything stop me - I am fearless but not stupid. Meow. On another note, your daughter is precious and she has indeed perfected her pout and learned to use you for her gain, but then again, isn't that what you expect? I would. She knows a good thing when she sees one. Enjoy her company while you have her around. They grow up too soon. Anyway, I have completed two quilts this past week but they won't be shown - ask me when you see me, I will show you the pictures on my phone. One is a Christmas gift for my son's girlfriend and the other one? Who knows? Cute but not me. Done and Done, on to more projects. You keep going, I have to catch up to you at some point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Viki, that is really too kind. When I showed y'all my first few quilts I was as nervous as Donald Trump at an ISIS rally. I'm grateful that all of you were so kind to me when I first came into your midst.

    Let's just be clear, Viki is not part of the Meow club. Honestly (ugh, I hate to be honest about this) no one at my Modern Quilt Group is meowing. They've really taken me in.

    Of course, they just prolly thought that they needed a token guy

    TheCurmudgeon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for admitting that we don't meow. Though I realize I do ramble. Your daughter is a lovely and lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your e-mail address and JOIN THE ADVENTURE!!