Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Week in Review


There's no one thing that has struck my fancy to write about this week, but there's lots of things happening, so I thought I'd just recap the week.

Honey's Maze


I'm continuing to work on a quilt that I call "Honey's Maze."  It's a quilt that I designed with my fiance' in mind.  That's why it's called "Honey's."

I drew the pattern on a large print-out of isometric paper.  I used the pattern to build each block.  Then I assembled the blocks into columns.  I'm in the process of joining the columns side-to-side.

As you can see, Mary Ellen's Best Press and Elmer's Washable Glue have been used extensively in this project.  If these two products aren't in your toolbox, I can highly recommend them to you.  Check out Things I Love for short reviews of both.

Honey's Maze


The little white rectangles are paper labels pinned to each block.  I did that to keep track of everything while I was putting it together.



I guess it's not really a maze, but I like the name "Honey's Maze," so that's what I've decided to call it.

I hope to soon showcase Honey's Maze in it's own post.  I just didn't want anyone to think that I wasn't still sewing!  I am... but it's a big project with lots of points and one-of-a-kind blocks, so it takes a while to get it all together.  It's not a "mass production" kind of quilt.





The Rings
Engagement Ring


I gave fiance' her engagement ring this past May.  That was before I began blogging, so I haven't told the engagement story yet, nor have I shown the rings.

Maybe someday I'll regale you with how incredibly amazing the proposal was, but, then again, maybe not.  Can't tell all of my secrets, right?




This week her wedding bands came in, so that was pretty cool.


 

Wedding Bands
We have decided for sure that the wedding will be in April, 2017.  I can't remember the exact date.  I'm sure I'll be there, though.








There are a couple of interesting twists to this wedding.  The one that I'm willing to share right now is that I am the one planning it, not her.  That one fact alone makes it pretty interesting.  Details to follow...


 

 Dutch the Wonder Dog



Dutch is a bit over 50 pounds and is all puppy.  This makes 14 weeks old for him.

He's a rambunctious cuss, though.  As I was playing with him this past week, I moved my head forward just as he startled and tossed his head up.  The result was a collision.

He came out much better than I did.





The Tornado and the Beast
The tornado boy is doing great with the beast.  We all went to a dog park today and, the tornado, who was afraid of dogs, ran and played with all the dogs into the park.  Pretty cool stuff.

As you can see in the photo, fiance' gave him a goofy, boy-band haircut.  But, hair can be cut again and gel washes out, so there's no permanent damage.  Unless you count the psychological harm.  With careful applications of terror, though, I'm hopeful that I can get him back to mental health.  Time will tell.







My daughter, Becky, had a chance to finally meet Dutch.  That's her with Dutch on her lap.  The monkey-boy sitting next to her is scheduled to be my new son-in-law in December.
Beauty, the Beast, and Monkey-Boy


By December, Becky will be graduated from college and married.  Whew, that's all three married off.  Perfect.  Financial freedom is close at hand.  And, no, none of them is planning to live with mom or dad.  There's two reasons for that: 1) They were raised to be on their own, and 2) I'm miserable to live with.  That keeps them away in droves.  Their mother is way nicer, but she has her ways to keep them out of her hair, so I think they're all about to actually be on their own.


After all, a parent's principle goal is to work himself (or herself) out of a job.



Mom's Quotes


Mom read Guys and Dolls and offered this bit of wisdom:

A man only needs two things: A sandwich and someone to make it for him.


Thanks mom for the low view you have of us fellows.  You can repay me for the slight with dinner soon, OK?  Maybe a sandwich.  Maybe some homemade ice cream.  Maybe I'll just eat anything you happen to be making because everything you make is wonderful.

Danny Etling

College Football



LSU lost to Wisconsin last week, which was a big disappointment; given their talent, they should have won.  Not to take anything away from Wisconsin because they played a great game.

Today, though, LSU beat a much lower level team, as expected.  Not much news in that, but there is one positive about this weeks game: the back up quarterback, Danny Etling, came into the game in the first quarter and the whole team played like they're supposed to play.  I'll be shocked if he doesn't start next week against Mississippi State.  I do love my Tigers, but it's been a tough road this year so far.  It's still early yet, though, so we'll just have to see how it goes.
 




The Jeep



And, lastly, yesterday morning, fiance' picked up a new car from the dealer.  It's a 2016 Jeep Renegade.  She's always wanted a yellow truck, so she finally got one.  I'm proud of/for her.

It's not a bad ride.  Ya know, for a girl.



 Life does have it's twists and turns.

TheCurmudgeon

1 comment:

  1. I thought of two things a man around is good for.....picking up heavy stuff and reaching things from a high shelf. And maybe opening a sealed jar. Those right there are enough for me. And don't call my soon to be new grandson monkey boy...I call him precious and I love him. Plus he's tall and can reach high shelves.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your e-mail address and JOIN THE ADVENTURE!!