Thursday, June 1, 2017

Lucky Man

I'm feeling a bit sentimental this morning, so, for just a few minutes, I'll shed my curmudgeonly nature.

A couple of days ago, my daughter, Becky, called and asked if I'd like to meet her for lunch.  As she lives 2-3 hours away, it was something of a sacrifice for her.  Of course, I said yes.  What man in his right mind turns down lunch with a beautiful, smart, witty, and talented daughter?  Right?

As we were standing in the restaurant waiting to be seated, I glanced up and my son was standing next to us.  He lives 15 hours away (in Denver, CO) and was in town for business.  I didn't know he was in town, so I was shocked to see him.

Wow.  Lunch with two of my three kids.  And it was their idea!  That's what I've been thinking about.  They wanted to spend time with their old man.  Naturally, they expected me to pay, so it could be that they just wanted a free meal, but I'll choose not to dwell upon that for the time being.  It would be too curmudgeonly to do so.

As if their mere presence wasn't enough, Becky came bearing gifts for a combo Father's Day/Birthday.  She gave me the nicest photo of her and me from her wedding 5 months ago.  I love photos from my kids.  Every one is always displayed proudly.

In addition to the photograph, she gave me a six-pack of TurboDog, some coffee, and some espresso candy.  She knows her dad!

Also, her wit was on full display with the Father's Day card she choose.  Here's the front:




And here's the inside:



I'm still laughing about it.  When she was little, I used to say that she was snarky.  Methinks that she's not outgrown it.

A couple of weeks ago, my older son, John, happened to be in town.  I didn't know he'd be coming, so it was a great surprise to me.  I got to spend the evening with him just hanging out.  He joined in with a few little projects that I had going on and we had a wonderful time.

So, here's what I'm thinking: I'm the luckiest man on earth.

Not only do I have a wonderful woman who loves me, and not only does she have kids that love me, but, also, I have three amazing grown children who go out of their way to come see dad (paying for dinner, notwithstanding).

After looking over all of the things that I've screwed up over the course of my life, it's amazing to realize that, somewhere along the line, maybe I did a thing or two right.

My evidence is my three lovely children.  They've grown into fine young adults who make great decisions and are living their lives happily and productively.

They have each chosen spouses that I adore.  I'm so proud of Kayla, Kaci, and Tom.  They are amazing additions to the family.


(For completeness, I have to mention my ex-wife, their mother.  She was and is all of the things that I'm not.  My children would not have been raised half as well, if that, without her.  For that, I'm eternally grateful.  We made a good team with the kids.)

I only had two goals in parenting:

1) equip them to live productively as adults, and

2) to make them better than me.

Mission accomplished.

TheCurmudgeon

p.s.  Never fear, faithful reader, I'm back to my curmudgeonly nature already.  This was simply a weak moment on my part.  Get off my lawn!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address and JOIN THE ADVENTURE!!